1/16/11

NeW YeaR ThEmE: FoLLoWinG ThRouGH

Over the past few months I have been thinking about the way my family and I function. I have noticed a unhealthy pattern developing over the last few years that has got to change. Just like every New Year we make goals and are really motivated to change but we end up with a million excuses as to why we don't. Eating healthy, getting rid of the rolls on our stomachs and thighs,  reading the scriptures together, family home evening consistently, budgeting better, saving money, are all things that we always have good intentions of doing but we never FOLLOW THROUGH! I start a new workout, or make a new scripture reading chart, and as soon as I miss a day, I stop, frustrated with myself for not being disciplined.
The great thing about Dustin's job is that every 6 months or so we get to go to a new place. A fresh start, a new beginning. When we found out that we were going to Ontario, Canada, we were really excited. I have always wanted to live in a big city and the surrounding areas will be a great cultural experience for the kids.
The beginning of the year is an excellent time to move to a new place. I have been excited to implement all of my New Year's resolution and to get my family on track. So we set out on our journey from Idaho to Ontario Canada... 1938 miles. It ended up being 2400 ( I will explain that in a later post). And we are in Buffalo NY, we have been for 6 days, waiting for our Resident Visas. We have been in hotels for 10 days. Now that has kind of put a damper on my goal of FoLLoWinG ThRouGH.
Needless to say this week has been a little frustrating. The kids NEED to be in school. Dustin NEEDS to be working, and I need to be working on getting the family to function better.
Today being Sunday, and it feels like we havent been to church forever, I took the kids down to swim, again. I opened up the Gospel Library to read the scriptures (since I packed all of ours) and I listened to some amazing Mormon Profiles on mormon.org.
As I sat there and watched my kids play with each other, occasionally hit or push or yell, and then start playing again like nothing happened, I realized how content I really am. Yes, we are ready to go back to organization and structure. But instead of being discouraged because things have not gone they way we have wanted them to, we are having fun, and enjoying the journey.
My goal and our family Motto for the NEW YEAR is to Follow Through and ENJOY THE JOURNEY. To show my kids that hard work pays off, that it is important to always do your best, but it is just as important to relish in the moment and take time to smell the roses. And that no matter what circumstances we find ourselves in to find the good in everything.



No comments:

Post a Comment